Thursday, March 15, 2012

Anthology: Theme Statement



I'm planning to focus my anthology work this semester around the general theme of Winter. It's a season that seems to provoke a wide range of emotional responses from people--we love it, hate it, get weary of it.

I have a few ideas about the texts that I will collect for it, but a lot is up in the air, still.  I'm thinking of the final scene from Robert Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller, with the snow slowly covering up the dying hero.  I'm also thinking of the Richard Wilbur poem "Year's End," because of the way that it depicts that muffling, room-like atmosphere that is snow at night on a quiet street, if that makes sense.  Lots of possibilities. I'm also thinking of the Christmas morning scene from A Christmas Story and probably a scene from the Laura Ingalls Wilder novel A Long Snowy Winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment