Shapton has a style that almost makes you think you could be an artist. You think this partly because her watercolors all seem drawn with a fat brush, are more water than color, and don't seem to care about staying in the lines, if there are even lines. It's also because she's making art out of the spare minutes of her life. A friend in a chair, a friend at a restaurant. Makes you realize how much art is happening around you at all times.
2. "Urnatur," an eco hotel featured on the blog Anthropologist.
When I first saw this photo and video spread, I thought that it was only a place for faeries, or at least people from Iceland or whatever remote northern European woods it was located in. And then we figured out it was a hotel. We could stay there. We never, ever will, but we could. That sense of possibility lets my imagination take quick trips there every once in awhile.
Places like this always prompt me to wonder "what if?" The simplicity, the proximity to nature, the lack of wires and wi-fi and, well, electricity, doesn't look threatening here as much as it does liberating.
3. Reggie Watts, "I Just Want To"
Kind of like Leanne Shapton, Reggie Watts makes you want to buy a piece of audio sampling equipment from a local pawn shop and start making your own amazing music. Even my 7 year old, when watching this, said "Dad I want one of those."


This is completely off subject but I thought you'd be interested. One friday there is an Oscar Night fundraiser at the Cinema Center down town and I didn't know if you and your wife would enjoy something like that. Here's the link. http://www.cinemacenter.org/events/events.html
ReplyDelete