Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hill Short List: 1.25.12

1.  Images from the doomed expedition to Antarctica by Robert Falcon Scott (1910-1913).  There is something chilling and noble about this collection of photographs.  For one thing, I just love the clothes they're wearing and wish I could find a store around here that outfit me like they are.  There is a rugged stoicism in their eyes, very British of them, naturally.  The fine specimen bottles and their tiny octopi and the stiff penguin would make great knick-knacks, for that matter.  Funny how my impulse is to somehow connect to these tragic figures by buying their look. 

2.  This American Life: Middle School.  This is my favorite TAL episode from the past few months.  Kind of terrifying, really.  The kids interviewed make it sound like the most brutal period of social terrorism a person could ever experience, and suggest that it's impossible to change.  I guess I had forgotten that, but I do remember a fair bit of drama. 

3. Convoy, a tumblr I follow.  Convoy is not updated frequently; the "author" seems to save up images in large batches, almost like a magazine with no text, and post them every month or so.  But they always hold together so well--tumblr can be a wild, erratic place, but this has one of the most consistent looks of the ones I follow.  It's a very sleek, uncluttered, natural lifestyle presented here.  It's funny how you assume that the person who puts this tumblr together is choosing images that reflect his own, actual lifestyle, but it's probably more likely that he's just a guy in an apartment dreaming of a better life.  But he dreams in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment