Unmediated Experience
She does this thing. Our seventeen-
year-old dog. Our mostly deaf dog.
Our mostly dead dog, statistically
speaking. When I crouch.
When I put my mouth to her ear
and shout her name. She walks away.
Walks toward the nothing of speech.
She even trots down the drive, ears up,
as if my voice is coming home.
It’s like watching a child
believe in Christmas, right
before you burn the tree down.
Every time I do it, I think, this time
she’ll turn to me. This time
she’ll put voice to face. This time,
I’ll be absolved of decay.
Which is like being a child
who believes in Christmas
as the tree burns, as the drapes catch,
as Santa lights a smoke
We are just figuring out this class magazine project. Whatever it ends up looking like, it will be something you made, and that alone makes it worth trying.
For the next two days, we are going to spend our time exploring options for our first article, which will be due not this Friday, but next. For this Friday, your job is to create a single post, a "short list" of three possible articles you are considering for your first submission.
Simply provide a list that identifies, for each possible article, the subject/title of the piece, a link, if it is available online, and a 25-50 word description of the subject and why it intrigues you. Pictures would be nice, but aren't necessary.
To help you with this process, I have put together a list of links to online destinations that provide an internet's worth of possibilities. It is saved on class web page as "Spartan Reader Links," and it is a list that we will update as new sites are pointed out to us.
You may want headphones to listen to some of the audio and video possibilities. Your job these next two days is to engage yourself in the process of reading deeply. Let me know what cool stuff you find.

No comments:
Post a Comment