Monday, January 30, 2012

Hill Short List 1.31.12

1.  The Sartorialist: Lunch for 25
   
     The Sartorialist is a great example of how one blog and an internet can make your career.  Scott Schuman went from being a Hoosier like the rest of us, a Hoosier who developed a taste for clothes and started taking street photographs of people whose style he liked.  He posted them to his blog.  And now it's his job.  He travels the world, hitting Milan Fashion Week, Paris Fashion Week, or just rambling through cities he's never been to, photographing all the while.
     This post contains a short film of a dinner he pulled together somehow with some of the most popular, most stylish men he'd met in the street.  They're strangers for the most part, but they have high taste in clothes and they just look good sitting down to schmooze for awhile.  I sometimes think about who I would invite if I had that hypothetical dinner party of famous folks, but here's a video of someone who actually made theirs happen, and it's fun to watch.

2. From The ByGone Bureau: "Fear and Gaming: Being and Nothingness in Minecraft."

   I haven't finished this article yet, but it's about a game that is fascinating me right now even though I have never actually played it.  I'm kind of afraid to, actually, knowing how one game can eat up your waking hours, or at least mine, if I'm not careful.  Minecraft is a game that my nephew wasted most of time I saw him during this past winter vacation, and it's back story is kind of like Scott Schuman's, if I understand it right: obscure software coder makes a game for the heck of it, it catches on, he's rich.  And from what I can tell, there is little purpose to the game either other than making buildings and showing it to your friends.  So I'm curious about what makes it so special.  I'll either probably respond to the article or to the game itself.  Not sure yet.

3. From the Times, "Lone Wolf Commands a Following."

    For the first time in 90 years, a wild wolf is living in California.  Depending on how you feel about wildlife, or things that happen in far-off states like California, this may or may not be interesting to you.  It is to me, and it's made a little more interesting because this wolf is wearing a gps collar that lets you track him online. People have started twitter accounts in his name even; he's quite a sensation over there.  I think this one grabs me because it parallels a little of what we're seeing happening around here, too, with coyotes in the country and even wolf sightings up in northern Michigan. 

4. Also from the Times: "Harnessing Gaming for the Classroom."

    One of those articles you come across when you are on the Times site and see the list of "most read" articles on the right side. The title of this is what interested me--I could see someone using it as a source for a research project that is probably going on right here at Homestead, right now.  Seems like something of interest, but I haven't read it yet.  I'm just putting it here so I remember to get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment